Friday, March 9, 2012

"Because my wife said so..."

In my acupuncture and Chinese medicine practice in Port Moody, 80% of all my patients are women (granted I do focus on gynecological issues) and 20% men. I generally find women are more incline in looking for help when it comes their health. Men wait until it's absolutely necessary (My husband is one of them!). Why is that?

On my intake form for new patients, I ask the simple question: "What is the reason for your visit today?". And a common answer from my male patients is: "Because my wife said so!" It always makes me smile. In my teaching of future Acupuncturists and Naturopaths, about 70% of all students are women. Why is that?

More women than men will read on health or disease prevention, and feed wholesome foods to their family. 
My husband always says, he wouldn't be this healthy if it wasn't for my cooking and preparing meals. He would just live on fast food. My male patients love acupuncture and its benefits once they try it but often, it's the women in their lives that will push them to go. That fascinates me...

So on this International Women's Day (and on a full moon!), be kind to your mother, sister, daughter and girlfriend, and don't forget we have your best interest at heart. And even though, we may act weird sometimes due to our raging hormones, we are glad you're in our lives and part of our ever growing journey.



Clara Cohen
Port Moody & Coquitlam Acupuncture

No comments: